There are a variety of treatment options for PANDAS/PANS, though each has it’s own inherent levels of effectiveness against one or more of the symptoms. Be sure to check out the diagnosis information page.
- Anti-inflammatory medication and/or corticosteroid therapy
- IVIG (intravenous immuneglobulin)
- Standard psychiatric medications (very low dose) and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Alternate therapies/diagnostic tools can include a full immunological work up, the Cunningham Panel of tests, MRI/PET Scans, Allergy testing, Nutritional counselling, Genetic testing and Homeopathy and Naturopathic Care
- When running lab tests to look for evidence of infectious triggers Group A Streptococcus should always be considered (which can be asymptomatic and also be present in places other than the throat)
- Other infectious triggers to consider are Mycoplasma, Lyme disease, Herpes Simplex Virus, Coxsackie virus, Epstein Barr virus, Staph infections, Influenza, particularly H1N1